Friday, February 19, 2010

Spinach Tempeh Pie

I just have to vent for a minute: There are two parallel roads that lead from a main street near my house to down town, hitting the college along the way. The speed limit is 30, which sounds slow, except the lights are timed so if you go 30, you never hit a light! It's a great concept, especially for someone like me who drives a standard. I don't understand the people who feel the need to go 40, then immediately hit the brakes to stop for the light.

This morning, after I dropped Cody off at school, this woman behind me was on my tail so bad I couldn't even see her headlights. That's close. Too close. So I tapped on my breaks. It's a 2-lane road. She could've gone around. Instead, she stayed right on my rear end. I dropped to 25. She doesn't need to be following me that close; I was hoping she'd get the hint and just pass me. Or get off my butt. Well, I got what I wanted...she moved over, then cut in front of me when there wasn't enough room and I almost hit her. All the while, her middle finger is out the window.

What is wrong with people?

Ugh. That's my rant. Now on to food.

Like tofu, I almost always have tempeh in my fridge. It sounds weird, I know. If you're not sure of what this magical soy product is, check it out HERE. I really like the Westsoy brand. It's easy to use and takes on the flavor of anything you mix it with.

A few months back, our landlady gave us loads and loads of different flours. I know: best landlady ever. One of them was spelt flour, which I wasn't sure how to use, until I stumbled across a recipe for spelt flour crust. Here is a tasty little creation that you really really really need to try.



Spinach Tempeh Pie
Prep time: 10 minutes, plus marinading
Cook time: 30 minutes


Filling:
2 tsp orange zest, about 2 oranges
1/2 cup fresh orange juice, about 2 oranges (If you don't get enough, just add a little bit of water to make up the rest)
2 tbsp orange marmalade
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos* (Thanks, Katie!)
3 cloves garlic, grated
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp ground ginger
8 ounces tempeh, crumbled
4 cups baby spinach, chopped

*You can use soy sauce if you don't have or can't find Bragg's!

Crust:
3 tbsp tahini
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/4 cups spelt flour
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp soy milk (sweet or unsweetened; whatever you have on hand will work!)

1. In a medium bowl, whisk zest, juice, marmalade, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, red pepper flakes, and ginger.
Stir in crumbled tempeh. Marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through.

2. Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly spray nonstick spray on a baking sheet. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Cook marinated tempeh, along with marinade, on medium heat until it browns up, for about 8 minutes. Add spinach and cook until heated through and wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

3. In your stand mixer or food processor (Like my beautiful KitchenAid), combine tahini, salt, and flour. Add soy milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough forms. (I had to scrape down the sides a few times)

4. Shape into a disk. Roll out dough to approximately 11 x 10 inches, a little over 1/8-inch thick. Transfer onto prepared baking sheet. Place filling on top of the prepared crust, leaving about 1 inch from the edges. Level the filling, fold the edges of the pie crust up and over so that the filling is visible. It's not going to be your traditional pie crust, but that's the point!

5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top of the crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.



This was really good! I didn't love the crust, but the filling was marvelous! It was sweet...but spicy...but meaty...but full of spinach. That hint of orange went really well with the tempeh and the heat from the red pepper behind it tantalized the taste buds. I highly recommend this little pie!

PS: I hope you all find yourselves driving with consideration. I'm still shaken up. That's the scariest thing: it's not about how good of a driver you are. There are too many bad drivers on the road. Oh well. Happy Friday!!!

PPS: Something that cheers me up...one of my girlfriends sent me a picture text last night with my Shepherd's Pie in the picture...she made it for dinner and it was a hit! That's an awesome feeling! Thanks, lady!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your scary driving incident!!! I hate when that stuff happens.
    But guess what? I drive stick too.
    One more thing to add to the list of a million why we were meant to be friends.
    XOXO,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Thanks for sharing all your fun creations!

    -Melissa-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually use spelt flour for cookies, muffins, pancakes and cakes. I also use it when I make homemade tortillas. I try to mix it with other flours when I make bread and pastries because it doesn't have gluten which means it doesn't rise really well. I have never tried it for a pie crust tho.
    Mixed with crushed flax seed (Omega 3!) the spelt flour takes a delicious nutty taste!

    Your pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!