Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Shepherds Pie

Oh, Shepherd's Pie. How I love you.
Another glorious meal that reminds me of my childhood (thanks, mom!). It's one of those meals that Cody loves, too; all the food in one serving. No thought process necessary.

Obviously I don't use the traditional lamb here. Duh. Straight up Boca Crumbles, some mushroom gravy, broccoli (instead of carrots, but you can use whatever you'd like!), and mashed potatoes. Yum!



Shepherd's Pie
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes


1 package Boca Crumbles
1 jar mushroom gravy
3-4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 head of broccoli
4 tbps soy butter
1/4 cup soy milk

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium pan, heat the Boca Crumbles and mushroom gravy. This is where I add a little bit o' this & a little bit o' that, just like my mom would do.

2. Fill a medium sauce pan with just enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain.

3. In a small sauce pan, steam the broccoli till bright green, about 8 minutes.

4. Add the soy butter and soy milk to the potatoes. Spice them up with some salt & pepper. Mash away!

5. In a pie plate, put all the meat mixture, top with the broccoli, and top with the potatoes. I add an extra slab of butter to the top of the potatoes, just for fun. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes start to brown a bit on top. Serve and enjoy!

Deidra has claimed that this is one of her favorite vegan meals, and Cody & I can finish off the whole thing in 2 days by ourselves. Serve it along with some homemade bread and you will not be disappointed!

4 comments:

  1. OH MY OH MY!! My all time English fav recipe made vegan. what the heck are boca crumbles? never seen them here can u get them at the commissary? When I get my oven, will have to try this. I beginning to think I will never get an oven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! You can TOTALLY get them there, only I think the commissary only sells Morning Star crumbles. They come in a green package and they're in the frozen section, but not in with the meat. :)

    How on EARTH is it you don't have an oven yet??? That has to be the worst!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that my name is in your heart


    lub u

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your name is aways in my heart, ninnie! xo

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!