Monday, August 24, 2009

Beer Bread

I'm the kind of girl who believes fresh, warm bread out of the oven can solve every problem in the world. I mean, really, it doesn't get much better than homemade bread. The smell of it invading your kitchen, the steam coming off a fresh slice, and the fact that it isn't packed with unnecessary preservatives.

I'm married to the kind of guy who believes beer is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :) Him and Chuck brew their own, he drinks it on a regular (but not too regular) basis, and he's quite knowledged in micro brews.

BEER + BREAD = BOND HEAVEN

This recipe for beer bread is the best I've ever had. I use Guinness when I'm in the mood for a heavy, thick bread. If I want something lighter, I use Bud Light. It doesn't take a lot of work and I always have the ingredients on hand, so it's perfect to accompany stews and pastas of all kinds.



Beer Bread
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes


2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup melted soy butter, olive oil, or canola oil (I use olive oil just because I like the taste better!)
1 12 oz bottle beer
2 tbsp dried garlic
2 tsp melted soy butter

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a loaf pan.

2. Stir the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together in a big bowl. Add the butter or oil, then slowly add the beer. Combine until just mixed.

3. Pour the dough in the loaf pan. Shmear (that's a technical term!) the dough with the 2 tsp melted butter, then sprinkle with the dried garlic.

4. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Remove the loaf from the pan, slice, and eat till your belly is full.

This bread is so simple and so wonderful. Cody loves it, I love it, Dei & Chuck eat it up, and I've had a few friends make it and love it. I highly recommend it in the place of store-bought bread. Cook it up as a warm snack or to accompany your favorite dinner. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ah-mazing! You have the greatest recipes. Which is why I've given you an award! You can find it on my blog! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!