Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Southwest Bean & Corn Salad

Another post for lunch! I swore I would try my hardest not to post salads on my vegan blog because that's what we're thought to only eat. However, this is not your traditional salad. There's not lettuce! There's no spinach! There's no "greens" to form your base. This salad is composed of beans, which leaves you fuller and more satisfied. WARNING: If you're going on a date or plan on being around people, eat this with caution. The amount of fiber in it is going to gas you up!

As I was mixing it together last night, Cody asked, "Why don't I get fancy lunches?". I let him pack himself a meat sandwich every day. He doesn't rate my delicious beans. :) He did, however, help me with the flavor on this one, so I'll let him pack some if he so chooses.



Southwest Bean & Corn Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes

1 15-oz can black beans
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1/3 cup green olives, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups corn (I had frozen on hand, so I just added a bit of water in a bowl and heated in the microwave)
Juice of 2 limes
1-2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp hot pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning (Per Cody's suggestion, if you have it!)
Salt & pepper, to taste

1. Heat your corn in the microwave if it's frozen. Drain and rinse both beans. Combine all three in a large bowl.

2. Chop the peppers, onions and dice the olives. Mix with the corn and beans. Juice the 2 limes directly over the bowl. Drizzle with olive oil.

3. Add in all of your spices. Mix well. Taste; decide whether or not it needs anything else! Remember: it's going to get even more flavorful the longer it sits. I can't wait to taste it after a night of swimming in delicious marinade!



Cody just pointed out that there is 10 grams of fat. It's good fat, people! This is low sodium! Super high in both protein AND fiber! I swear, I get more protein now than I did when I consumed animal flesh. This salad is just delicious. Great for packing in a tub and bringing to lunch. Or pairing with a light dinner. Or putting in a pita and calling it a sandwich. Triple Score!!!

2 comments:

Leave some love!