Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Buffalo Wings

Two weeks ago, Cody & I drove up to Colorado Springs with our good friends, Erik & Stephanie. Erik is from Colorado and he & Stephanie lived there for 8 years. We drove up to see Manchester Orchestra (if you haven't listened to them, get on it!). We got to meet some of their good friends, their family, and ate loads of good food! My favorite place, by far, was Trinity Brewery. They had great beer AND great food. Their menu was dedicated to vegetarians and vegans. Stephanie got the tempeh sliders and I got the Buffalo Wings with mustard beer dipping sauce and a side of sweet potato fries. Mmmmmmmm.

You know me: recreator extraordinaire! I literally couldn't stop thinking about going home and making buffalo wings. It was all I could talk about. I didn't want my little wings to be gone! We made it safely back to Albuquerque on Monday and I made them for dinner that night. :)

You can find the recipe for the seitan HERE...it's the first recipe. Once it has cooled and is ready to use, head on to this post and get your buffalo on!

Buffalo Wings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes


Make sure you start your SEITAN ahead of time!

1/4 cup flour
1 tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup Frank's Hot Sauce, or hot sauce of choice
4 tbsp butter, melted

1. Break the seitan into wing-size pieces. In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat.

2. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, garlic, salt, and pepper. Dredge the seitan pieces in flour, making sure to cover all of it. Carefully drop each piece in the oil. Let the seitan cook for 5 minutes, or until browned. Flip on all sides and brown.

3. While the seitan is cooking, heat the hot sauce and better in the microwave or small saucepan over low heat. Mix until well incorporated.

4. Remove the seitan from the pan. Pour the hot sauce mixture over your seitan, making sure to coat each piece. I then put mine on a skewer and served!



(Yes, kale chips....so good...)

The next night, I had extra seitan, so I made more buffalo wings and made a calzone. I filled it with spinach and kalamata olives....mmmmm......



The seitan has a nutritional value to drool over. I'm pretty impressed with it.



Add the buffalo sauce to it, it's still not so bad.



So go ahead. Indulge!

5 comments:

  1. No you didn't! Buffalo wings? Your hubby is SO lucky. I make the BF eat salad. He better not ever find your blog, or he's going to be SO jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Salads are amazing! I just think it would be good to steer clear of salads on a vegan recipe blog. It kinda defeats the purpose...you should try these buffalo wings! I know there's really good premade seitan; that would make it super fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, my hubby is a huge buffalo wing fan and I'll have to try this for him. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I made this it was flippin' incredible! :D

    I'm gonna try your chocolate cake next. Woooo <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this recipe and it came out absolutely delicious. It was the best mock meat I've ever made. The pieces were crispy on the outside and tender/chewy on the inside. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!