Friday, February 12, 2010

Margarita Cupcakes

Ay ay ay!
If there's anything I love more than a filthy martini, it's a well-made margarita. They're sweet. They're sour. They're refreshing. And I live in New Mexico, so my cup runneth over. That's why when I came across this delectable combination of margaritas and cupcakes, I knew I would fall in love.

Since I am so fond of margaritas (only on occasion....don't get the wrong idea!), I almost always have my friend, Jose Quervo, in the beer fridge freezer. So I stopped by the market, picked up some limes, and made these happy hour cupcakes.



Margarita Cupcakes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 20-22 minutes


Cupcakes

1/4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest, freshly grated
1 cup soymilk (I always try to use full-fat for baking.)
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons tequila
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Icing

1/4 cup Earth Balance
1 tablespoon soymilk
3 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 tablespoon tequila
tiny drop green food coloring...as tiny as you can manage!
2-2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 pinch kosher salt or coarse salt
1/2 cup large crystal decorator sugar (for the rim of the cupcake!)

1. Preheat oven to 350° F and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

2. Beat together lime juice, zest, soy milk, oil, tequila, vanilla and sugar.

3. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Combine into the wet ingredients and mix until smooth.

4. Fill liners about 3/4 fill. I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to get the job done. Bake 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

5. Transfer cupcakes to a cooling ratck and cook completely before frosting.

6. Blend margarine until soft and fluffy; stir in soy milk, lime juice, tequila and food coloring. Use only the tiniest bit of food coloring.

7. Sift in 2 cups confectioners sugar and blend until smooth and creamy. Add additional confectioner sugar if the icing appears too liquidy. Refrigerate until ready to use.

8. Spread icing on the cupckaes spreading all the way to the edges.

9. Roll the outer edge of the cupcakes in the sugar crystals. Serve after your favorite Mexican / New Mexican dish!

I sincerely hope you get the chance to make these cupcakes. The fresh lime juice makes all the difference in the world. You don't really notice the tequila, just like in a real margarita. It's just there for fun. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love it when I'm scrolling down through the dashboard, reading all of my favorite bloggies, and your post makes my jaw drop! (Since this happens so frequently, you'd think I'd be less surprised by now, but it's the opposite!) You impress me more and more everyday.
    And since you're my bloggie BFF (naturally) I'll let in on a little secret. I'm attempting a vegan gluten-free cheesecake tonight for Marc for V-Day!
    Wish me luck!!!
    XOXO,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegan gluten-free cheesecake?
    LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES!!

    PS: You're amazing & I adore you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!