Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tabouli

A few weeks ago, I made the BEST new dinner ever: Falafel with Tzatziki Sauce. Naturally, I paired it with some Kale Chips because we always have kale in the fridge, but I also had a box (yes, a box) of tabouli mix and I thought it would go perfect with our mostly-Mediterranean meal. I was a little disappointed! The tabouli from a box is far too minty and really just wasn't so good. Cody didn't really love it, but the sister-in-law thought it was good because she had never had tabouli before. Nothing to compare it to!

Well, brother-in-law Chuckles B. Hornsworth is home from a work trip and needed his turn with delicious falafel. This time, though, I decided to make homemade tabouli. I'm pretty sure it was cheaper, and more fresh, and more delicious. So you simply can't lose! Unless, of course, you're like me and hate tomatoes so much that cutting them makes you gag a little. Baby steps.



Tabouli
Prep time: 30 minutes

1 cup boiling water
1 cup Bulgar Wheat
1 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
1/2 cup minced fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1-3 tomatoes, diced (I only used one. I hate tomatoes. But you could probably add more!)
2 cucumbers, seeded and diced
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 teaspoons sea salt

1. In a large mixing bowl, pour the boiling water over the bulgar wheat and cover; let stand about 20 minutes until wheat is tender and water is absorbed. Add the chopped herbs and vegetables and toss with the mix. Drizzle the oil, lemon juice, and sprinkle the salt over the wheat mixture and mix well. Chill. Serve with warm pita chips or crackers.



I served it with the warm pita chips, but I also dished out some greek hummus because I think it's easier to put a lil' hummus on the pita and then try to get some tabouli on it. Food engineering, my friends. Both Cody & Deidra liked this tabouli better, especially Cody, who didn't really eat much of the boxed kind. It's the type of food that's better the next day, too; let those fresh spices sit and get friendly. It's amazing.

You know what else is amazing??? The jerky that I'm giving away!!! I'll announce the winner on Friday! So if you haven't entered yet, what are you waiting for??? :)

1 comment:

  1. Oooh a good tabouli is wonderful! As you can imagine, living here in Saudi Arabia, we are surrounded by tabouli, and I've never tried making my own. Your recipe looks so fresh and tasty, I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!