Monday, May 3, 2010

Vegan Paella

Paella (Spanish pronunciation: [paˈeʎa]) is a Valencian rice dish that originated in its modern form in the mid-19th century near lake Albufera, a lagoon in Valencia, on the east coast of Spain.

I can't say I know much about Paella. What I do know, I likey. I know the first time I had it, I went back for seconds. It was full of shrimp and muscles, had a mild taste but was definitely Spanish. I know that my beautiful, Cuban best friend loves Paella and her parents make it the best. I also know that it's rice made with saffron (which sounds so exotic when said best friend says it) and loads of veggies. To me, Paella is kind of like goulash: if you have something to put in it, PUT IT IN!!!

I had some veggies and lots of rice and grains, so this is the Paella I came up with:



Vegan Paella
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes


1/2 cup quinoa* (pronounced /ˈkiːnoʊ.ə/ or /kwɨˈnoʊ.ə/ or keen-wah)
1 cup brown rice
2 3/4 - 3 cup vegetable broth
splash of beer, whatever you have on hand and are drinking while you cook, per order of Cuban BFFL
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups artichoke hearts, quartered
14 oz diced tomatoes, lightly drained
15 oz kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 tsp saffron, crushed
1/2 tsp cumin
2 tsp Spanish paprika
dash cayenne pepper
salt & pepper, to taste
1 cup frozen or fresh peas
black olives (I used oil cured black olives)
fresh parsley, coarsely chopped, for garnish

*I know quinoa isn't a traditional grain in Paella, but I had it on hand so I HAD to use it. Plus, it's so much fun to say! If you don't have any quinoa, just use an additional 1/2 cup of rice.

1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook a little longer. Stir in the quinoa and/or the rice with the saffron; stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, peppers, artichokes, tomatoes, beans, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt & pepper (if using). Bring to a boil and reduce heat to very low. Cover; cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. After 15 minutes, check on the grain. If it's a little dry, add 1/4 cup broth. If it's still hasn't absorbed all the liquid, keep cooking on low. I cooked for about 25 minutes after adding the extra 1/4 cup broth. Add the peas, stir, and cook until heated through. Garnish with black olives and fresh parsley.



I ate this with a sweet potato smothered in La Salita Red Chile for my pre-race meal. If you check out the carbs, you'll see I was on the right track! The serving size in the nutritional value if you're making it a MEAL. This is such a good side dish, though, so don't be turned off by it's high caloric and carb numbers! Bring it to a potluck or a BBQ. Make it and eat it as leftovers...trust me, it's better as leftovers! Whatever you do, however you serve it, just don't miss out on this amazing dish!

PS: Keep your eyes peeled for a giveaway, lovelies!

1 comment:

Leave some love!