Monday, May 10, 2010

Corn Chowder

...or "chowdah" if you're from New England.

I've been on this frugal kick lately; my mom is coming to visit NEXT WEEK and I'm saving all my grocery shopping and cooking for her. This is going to be such a fun vacation for both of us. I seriously can't wait. It's been over a year since I got to spend time with my mom, so I'm sincerely looking forward to every last minute with her.

I digress! Me being frugal means going through my cabinets and trying to make something out of all the stuff I already have. This Vegan Paella was one of those meals. We've had a few blustery days here in good ol' New Mexico, so soup has still been on the menu. I decided to throw together some Corn Chowder because a. I LOVE CORN CHOWDER and b. I didn't have to go to the store for anything. Look how easy this soup is!



Corn Chowder
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30-60 minutes


2 tbsp olive oil
2 small onions, chopped
2 tbsp Earth Balance
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
6 cups vegetable broth
3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
5 cups frozen corn
1 cup unsweetened, full-fat soy milk
1/4 cup vegan cheddar cheese (optional...unless you've tried DaiYa Cheese. It's unreal!)
2 tbsp bacon bits (YES! They're vegan!)

1. In a large stockpot over medium heat, get your olive oil and butter warmed up. Add the onions and and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.

2. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Add the corn to the soup, then add the soy milk and cheese (if using). Cook for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve hot with bacon bits as garnish.



This is a super-easy soup and is actually really good for you. It doesn't require skillz in the kitchen, either. You can kinda just throw it all together. So long as you know how to chop veggies, you can make this. Plus, it's better after a few days! Gotta love soup...

If you haven't gone over to my Primal Spirit Foods Jerky Giveaway yet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??? I think I might let this one go a little bit longer and let my MOM pick the winner on Random.org. Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

2 comments:

  1. Ummm, the bacon bits being vegan kinda scares me... there must me tons of unnatural chemicals in that stuff to make it taste like bacon... I'll try the chowder, but I'll pass on the bacon bits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually not as bad as you'd think. And it's the Ba-co's, not Bacon Bits. I guess there's a difference.

    Defatted Soy Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Water, Salt, Sugar, Artificial and Natural Flavor, Red 40 and Other Color Added, Soy Sauce (Water, Wheat, Soybeans, Salt), Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!