Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Coconut Lime Cupcakes

It's 6:23 in the morning and I've been up for nearly 3 hours.
MY MOM FLIES IN TODAY!!!

Those of you who don't know, my entire family is in New Hampshire. It's where I was born and raised and it's my favorite state in the world! Live Free or Die! Anyway, last May, Sgt Husband & I drove (yes, DROVE) to my beautiful home state and visited with the family for a week. It was such an amazing time! I also went back in September for the Jacob Memorial Walk to remember my amazing nephew.



Seriously, how handsome! Love you & miss you, Jacob!

Anyway...due to flight changes and having to go back to work (where I got laid off the day I got back...awesome...), I was only able to spend 17 hours in New Hampshire. I don't really constitute that a visit. It was more of a tease! But here we are, one year later, and my mom is on her way here! I'm so nervous and excited and anxious...hence the no sleeping. Considering she's one of my biggest mentors for cooking, there will probably be some fancy stuff headed your way next week.

ON TO FOOD!!!

I made these cupcakes for Cinco de Mayo. The lime and coconut mix was absolutely perfect. They were light and refreshing, yet super moist and perfect.



Coconut Lime Cupcakes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes


1/3 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup soy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
1 tbsp lightly packed, finely grated lime zest
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsweetened coconut

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with liners.

2. Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over very low heat. Once melted, turn the heat off but leave it in the pan on the stove so that it stays warm and does not solidify.

3. In a medium bowl, mix together the melted coconut oil and sugar. Add the coconut milk, soy milk, vanilla, coconut extract, and lime zest. Mix to combine.

4. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until smooth. Add the coconut and mix to incorporate.

5. Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, until the cupcake top springs back when touched and a toothpick inserted through the center comes out clean.

6. Cool completely before icing.

Lime Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup vegan margarine (Earth Balance)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tsp finely grated lime zest

1. Beat the shortening and margarine together until combined well and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes. Add the vanilla and lime juice, beat for another 5 to 7 minutes or so until fluffy. Add the zest and mix to distribute. Chill until ready to use.

Assemble

Heap the frosting onto the cupcakes. Place the flaked coconut on a pie plate. Gently roll the cupcakes, sides first, in the coconut. Place decorative lime slices on top. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

I promise, if you like lime and you like coconut, you'll lurve these tasty little gems. They were a huge hit!

Alright, my dears. Off for some last minute cleaning (not that my house needs it after the week I've spent preparing), more coffee, and more Saved By the Bell. xo

2 comments:

  1. OMG, well, I will be baking again!

    What a beautiful boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just mixed this for a "Cinco De Mayo" luncheon at work! I don't know what it'll be like without the eggs, but it tasted amazing prior to going in the oven!! I'll have to tell you what my coworkers think of it too.

    Cinco De Mayo?
    Also, I'll be using green sprinkles around the rim of the cupcake, and place the lime as if it's on a shot glass. Make it look like a shot of tequila, but taste like coconut/lime :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!