Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Strawberry CheezeCupCakes

We had another birthday at work on Friday! My wonderful boss, Rory, celebrated another year. I've heard her talk about these cupcakes that Flying Star make: a vanilla cupcake stuffed with strawberry frosting called Strawberry Blonde. I decided to finagle a similar cupcake for her birthday. Only, you know me, I can't help but throw in 'a little bit a' this and a little bit a' that'.

I made some fabulous vanilla cupcakes thanks to the fabulous ladies who made Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I had some Pillsbury Frosting that is accidentally vegan, plus some Tofutti: Better Than Cream Cheese, and strawberry preserves. I combined all of them. :)



And here is Cody's artistic picutre...


Golden Vanilla Cupcakes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-22 minutes


1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt (increase salt to ½ teaspoon if you’re using oil instead of margarine)
½ cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened (I use Earth Balance), or ⅓ cup canola oil
¾ cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp almond extract, caramel extract, or more vanilla extract (I always use almond!)

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

2. Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to get good and curdled. If using margarine: Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix. In a separate large bowl, use a handheld mixer at medium speed to cream the margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. (Don’t beat past 2 minutes). Beat in the vanilla and other extract, if using, then alternate beating in the soy milk mixture and dry ingredients, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl a few times. If using oil: Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and other extracts, if using, in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until no large lumps remain.

3. Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
Prep time: 5 minutes

1/4 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened (Again, try Earth Balance)
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese, softened (I like Tofutti)
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Cream together margarine and cream cheese until just combined. Use a handheld mixer to whip while adding the confectioners' sugar in 1/2 cup batches. Mix until smooth and creamy, then mix in the vanilla. Keep tightly covered and refigerated until ready to use.

Ok, so now we prepare.

1. With a clean, washed hand, I used my pinkie to make a whole in each cool cupcake. Now, don't just stick it in, you have to move it around to make room. That's what she said. If you don't have a frosting piping bag, you can fill a ziplock bag and cut a small hole out of the tip. You need to stick the bag into the hole and fill it with as much strawberry frosting as possible.

2. Next I spread about 1 tsp of strawberry preserves on top of each filled cupcake. Nothing tricky or fancy here.

3. This next part is also easier if you have a piping bag, but if you don't, you can just spread the frosting. Use the cream cheese frosting to top the preserves, then put a small dollop of preserves on top of the cream cheese frosting.

That's it! I have to admit, the Pillsbury frosting was a little too sweet for me, but it's what I had on hand so it worked. They were still extremely yummy! A big thanks to my husband for being creative and comparing my beautiful cupcakes to my beautiful orchids. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!