Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Asian Orange Tempeh

Happy Hump Day, bloggers! This week has been a little crazy and is only going to get crazier: a friend of mine from years ago is going to be in town tomorrow with a little band called Every Time I Die. I get to see Ryan every year or so when his band travels through town; I saw him a few years ago at Warped Tour and in 2008 with Dead and Divine. It's always so great to see him and I'm really looking forward to him getting into town! Do you have any fun plans for April Fool's Day?

This weekend, I had to pull a dig-through-the-cabinets meal. I didn't feel like going to the store and I had some stuff in the fridge I had to use up. Mandarin oranges, asparagus, tempeh, and couscous make up this amazing meal. I think you might just need to try this tempeh!




Asian Orange Tempeh
Prep time: 10 minutes, plus marinading time
Cook time: 15 minutes


8 oz package tempeh (I use Westsoy)
2 8-oz cans Mandarin oranges in juice, mashed
2 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos (soy sauce or tamari will work, too)
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp coconut oil

1. Cut your tempeh into small triangles. The way I cut it, I get 16 pieces. Put into a large bowl with all the other ingredients and let marinade for at least 30 minutes (mine was hanging out for 6 hours!)

2. Heat coconut oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Carefully place tempeh in the pan with enough room to flip. The key here is to get dark brown bits all over the tempeh. I promise, they don't taste burnt. They're amazing. Let the tempeh cook for at least 5 minutes before checking. Once they're dark brown, flip, and continue to brown. Ta da!



I paired my tempeh with some roasted pine nut couscous (so yummy!) and some steamed asparagus. Quick tip on the asparagus: I love roasting asparagus, but steaming it till al dente is also fantastic. To steam mine, I put about an inch of water in my pan along with on stalk of fresh rosemary and 3 cloves of smashed garlic. Put the steamer basket in, bring to a boil, and steam for 5-7 minutes. The flavored water adds just a hint of extra delicious to the asparagus.

Hope you all have a wonderful downhill to your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!