Sunday, March 28, 2010

Spinach & Mushroom Florentine Crepes

I always make huge breakfasts on the weekend. Maybe not huge in the serving size, but huge in flavor, effort, and presentation. The husband & I only get 2 days a week for the gloriousness that is breaking the fast, so I make it count. Last weekend, I took my first stab at crepes. Apparently being french really helps because I am a crepe master.

Saturday was banana crepes with a blueberry rice syrup topping (sent to me by the wonderful people at Suzanne's Specialties...I have SO many samples, keep your eyes peeled for another giveaway!!!). I had leftover crepes, so Sunday I threw together this amazing breakfast that I personally believe topped all other breakfasts prior.


(Yes, there is already a bite taken. I was hungry...and I'm not a photographer.)

Spinach & Mushroom Florentine Crepes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes


Crepes

1 1/2 cups almond milk (or your favorite nondairy milk)
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp agave nectar or pure maple syrup
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup chickpea flour
1 tbsp tapioca flour (cornstarch or arrowroot is okay, too)
1/2 tsp salt

1. Put all the ingredients into a food processor or blender. Blend for about 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the blender once, until everything is smooth. The batter will be very thin. Refrigerate batter for about an hour (I didn't do this and they came out fine!)

2. Preheat a crepe pan or large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. The pan is ready when a few drops of water flicked onto it sizzle. Lightly spray the pan with oil.

3. Ladle about 1/3 to 1/2 cup batter (use the bigger amount for a bigger pan) in the center of the pan. Lift the pan off the burner and tilt in a circular motion so that the batter spreads in a thin layer across the bottom.

4. Cook until the top of the crepe is dry, the center is bubbling, and the edges are lightly browned and crinkly and are pulling away from the sides of the pan, usually about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Gently run the spatula under the crepe to loosen, then carefully flip and cook on the other side for 30 seconds. Slide the crepe onto a dinner plate. Repeat with the remaining crepes.

(Credit for this recipe is given to the amazing Isa Chandra Moskowitz)

Spinach & Mushroom Florentine

1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms (I used baby bella)
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup veganaise

1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and rosemary; cook until mushrooms have released their juice and are nice and brown. Add the spinach and wilt. (If you feel the need to add more spinach, please, do so.)

2. Add the black pepper and veganaise, making sure to coat the mushroom mixture. Put a few spoonfuls inside your prepared crepes, fold over, and add a little bit of the sauce on top.

This was such a simple yet AH-MAZING breakfast. I'm looking forward to my mom coming out so I can make it for her. :)

PS: If you lovelovelove coffee & tea as much as I do, head over to Love Veggies and Yoga for her TAZO Tea Gift Set and French Press giveaway!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the linkback on the contest and glad some of my other recipes caught you eye :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!