Monday, March 8, 2010

Pasta Day!

I've been finding myself in a crazy state of homesick lately. Not so much for New Hampshire; I always miss my family. No, no...of all places, I'm homesick for Okinawa. Next week it'll be one year since I've been on the tropical island I learned to love and hate all at the same time. I can hardly believe it.





Of course, in all of these pictures, you can't see the humidity. The awful drivers. The certain building on Camp Foster that contained some of the worlds worst leaders that shall remain nameless and made lives hell. Regardless, it still had so much beauty and culture and I miss it.

When I first moved to Japan with Cody, there was a restaurant next door to his work that we used to go to every Wednesday. That had this awesome buffet and what we like to call Pasta Day. You would go and put all of your fixings in a bowl (I used garlic, onions, peppers, red pepper flakes, ham, pepperoni, and black olives). A cook would saute it for you, ask what kind of sauce you wanted (between marinara, shrimp sauce, and pesto, I always chose pesto), then what kind of pasta (I got ziti!). Mix it all together, and voila! You have Pasta Day pasta.

Sometimes I go through my fridge and try to piece every item that needs to be used up and think of what I might be able to make. Pasta Day is a perfect meal for this! Leftover veggies? Saute them and mix 'em with pasta!



Pasta Day!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes


2 cups uncooked wheat penne, or pasta of your choice
4 cups water
2 tbsp olive oil
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 onion, diced
5-6 baby bella mushrooms
1/4 cup kalamata olives, diced
1 tsp red pepper flakes (or however much you can handle!)
salt & pepper
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4-1/2 cup Pesto (either use a vegan store-bought pesto or try THIS recipe!)

1. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook pasta according to package or to taste! Drain.

2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add both peppers, onion, and mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are nice and brown but other veggies still have some crispiness. Add the olives and spices.

3. When your veggies are done cooking, add the pesto to the skillet and reduce heat to low. Add the pasta, mix it all up, and serve!



If you're like me and sometimes you're not sure what to make for dinner or how to use up shtuff in your fridge and/or pantry, this is one of those great recipes that'll help you out. Add or remove whatever you want, use marinara instead of pesto, cook up whatever pasta you have...there you go. Pasta Day!

5 comments:

  1. Some of my favorite meals come from throwing veggies together with pasta! Y'all need to come back to the ATL and go to Chow Baby with us... pasta or rice, any veggie you can imagine and like 10 different sauces, put it all in your bowl, hand it over and they cook it on a huge wok and bring it to your table. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Mongolian BBQ! Did House every take you to Genghis Khan in Okinawa?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, Okinawa. Looks so beautiful. I've been in Japan for 4 years now and I've never been there. Hopefully one day I will :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was on Okinawa for 3 years and never made it mainland! I hope you get to see Okinawa. It really is something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah that's basically what it is!
    No he didn't

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!