Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Tofu Omelette

I find it pretty amazing that vegan's around the world have been able to recreate foods such as hamburger, eggs, and sausage. My cousin once asked me why on earth vegans feel the need to make things taste like food they are against eating, almost as if that goes against what they're trying to prove. I can see his point. But let me throw this at you: if you stopped going to a particular restaurant because you found a massive hair in your food but it was a restaurant you loved and you missed some of its flavors, wouldn't you be happy if you found a place that served food that was almost as good? That's my answer. I don't eat meat or eggs or dairy anymore because I don't see the point. That doesn't mean I don't miss it, it just means I get to be creative! Besides, if I'm serving up food that tastes great and is better for my husband and my family, I'm going to keep on doing it. If it also tastes similar to meaty products, good on 'em. And...better yet...if I can make the foods I grew up with and you can't tell the difference, I consider myself a miracle worker.

Thanks to my new friend, Jaclyn, and someone we both look to for vegan guidance, Isa, I made omelettes this weekend for the husband and myself. Yes, omelettes. They...were...amazing. I filled them with steamed broccoli and a cheezy sauce that is also on Jaclyn's page. Cody had fresh roasted green chile in his. I paired it with some homefries and wheat toast. What a treat!



Tofu Omelette
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes


2 garlic cloves
1 lb silken tofu, lightly drained (not the vacuum-packed kind) or soft tofu; Nasoya brand is recommended
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp fine black salt, plus extra for sprinkling
1/2 cup chickpea flour (I was able to find this at our regular market...it's important! Plus, you can make hummus out of it! Woo hoo!)
1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch

1. Chop up the garlic, if using, in a food processor. Add the tofu, nutritional yeast, olive oil, turmeric, and salt. Puree until smooth. Add the chickpea flour and arrowroot and puree again for about 10 seconds, until combined. Make sure to scrape down the sides so that everything is well incorporated.

2. Preheat a large, heavy-bottomed, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly grease the pan with cooking spray. (The less oil the better for the nice brown speckles we're going for.) Also, make sure that you use a large skillet, as you need room to spread out the omelet and to get your spatula under there to flip.

3. In 1/2 cup increments, pour the omelette batter into the skillet. Use the back of a spoon or a rubber spatula to spread the batter out into about 6-inch circles.

4. Let the batter cook for about 3 to 5 minutes before flipping. The top of the omelet should dry and become a matte yellow when it's ready to be flipped. If you try and it seems like it might fall apart, give it a little more time. The underside should be flecked light to dark brown. Flip the omelet and cook for about a minute on the other side. Keep warm on a plate covered with tinfoil as you make the remaining omelettes.

5. Fill omelette with the filling of your choice, then fold it. Once the omelette has been filled, sprinkle with a little extra black salt, since some of its flavor disappears when cooked.



I was so amazed at how much this actually tasted like eggs! The black salt has such a sulfer-like taste & smell, it is a must. The texture was great, and the cheeze sauce that went with it was a perfect match. I'm in love!!!

7 comments:

  1. Have I told you yet today that YOU'RE amazing?!? You must be the sweetest girl on the planet, and I say we should be buddies forever! I love this recipe, and all your recipes, and just can't thank you enough for encouraging and supporting both me and my blog! I just love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buddies forever it is! I have family in Los Angeles, so who knows, maybe we'll get to have a beer on the rocks together! I really don't know how I stumbled on your blog...it might have been through one of my friends...but however I did, I'm so glad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You name the time and place! I'll be there!!! And I didn't mention this before, but I do love your insight on vegans making food that is trying to be non-vegan! I say we just do what we want! (And I'm not fully there quite yet, so I have to say that!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what? Since I find you so lovely and inspiring, I've given you another award! I know, I know, I'm a big fat dork, but I just adore you and couldn't think of anyone I like more to give it to. I know I already made you post another, so don't feel pressured to post it, just keep it if you'd like! But do with it what you want, it's yours!
    Hope you're having a great weekend!!!
    XO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so all over it!
    You're the best! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss you! Are you okay? I'm thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!