Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Penne with Steamed Asparagus and White Wine Sauce

ASPARAGUS IS ON SALE!!! ASPARAGUS IS ON SALE!!! As I'm sure you know by now, Cody and I loveLOVELOVE asparagus. Pickled, roasted, steamed, grilled...you name it, asparagus is probably our favorite vegetable. That's why when asparagus goes on sale, we buy it pound for pound. This trip, we bought 7 pounds. Three pounds for roasting at the fam's house, two pounds for pickling, and with the other pound, I cooked up something new.

For this dish, I decided to steam the asparagus and toss it with some whole wheat penne (the only pasta I had in my pantry, but a good choice, I must say!) and top it with a white wine sauce. The sauce was buttery, creamy, with a touch of garlic and a dash of heat behind it. Not to mention the pinot grigio I threw in there. :)



Penne with Steamed Asparagus and White Wine Sauce
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes


1 lb asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
8 oz wheat penne, or whatever you have on hand
1/4 cup soy butter
4 cloves of garlic, minced
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Oregano
Salt & Pepper
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk

1. Prep and steam the asparagus until al dente. You want it to still have a crunch to it! Boil the pasta until al dente, too. I don't like mine with too much of a bite, so maybe a little bit longer if you're like me.

2. In a large skillet, melt the butter. Saute the garlic for 3 minutes. Add red pepper flakes (I add lots of red pepper flakes), oregano, salt and pepper. Add the wine; let it cook till it reduces. You don't want too much of an alcohol taste. Just enough. Add the soy milk and let simmer for a few minutes.

3. When it's all said and done, combine the three, top with some soy parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast, and serve!



I threw in some garlic bread because bread was on sale at Sunflower, too. I love sales. And I love food. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. YUMMERS! I love asparagus too! Especially pickled asparagus! Actually, Marc (The Boyfriend) and I would love to learn how to can our own veggies, I even bought him a book last year, but neither one of us owns the equipment, although it isn't too expensive, one of these days I'm just going to splurge and buy it! Maybe you can learn canning too, and you and I can swap canned goods! They'd only have to travel two or so states!
    Thanks for your sweet comments lately. I miss you, darling! And don't worry about sending me the book, I think you have to buy them there, so I'll just get one for you!
    How's the job search going? Have you thought anymore about going back to school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog. I'm looking forward to trying some of the recipes. I'm not a vegan, nor a vegetarian, but I like cooking meals without meat; I feel like we always eat meat!

    You might want to check that wonderful website called the happy veganarian (http://receptenmonique.blogspot.com/) It's great :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! So glad you posted this. I saw your facebook status about it and I was thinking last night "I hope Elizabeth posts that recipe". Needless to say it's on the menu for tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!