Wednesday, September 30, 2009

German Choc-o-lotta Cake!

When I learned that a majority of pre-made frostings were accidentally vegan, I immediately added some to my shopping cart. One of the different kinds I grabbed was German Chocolate Frosting. It's kinda gooey, has coconut, and I'm pretty sure some nuts. To go with the frosting, I had to make a cake worthy of such gooey-ness. I kind of put together my own chocolate cake...rich, not to sweet, and loads of chocolate flavor.



German Choc-o-lotta Cake!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30-35 minutes


3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup soymilk
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch pan with cooking spray.

2. Sift together flours, baking powder, and baking soda.

3. In a saucepan, heat the soymilk on low-medium heat. When it is slightly bubbling, add the cocoa powder and wisk well until it is dissolved. Remove from heat.

4. Combine the other liquid ingredients in the flour mixture. Add the cocoa mixture and combine well.

5. Pour batter into prepared pan, bake at 350° F for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick or knife comes out clean. Let cool completely and frosting.

This cake rose so much I was able to half it and make two layers. It cake itself wasn't too sweet, which I really like. Cody gobbled up two pieces right away, then we brought half of the cake to the fam's house for dessert. It was awesome! You could top it with whatever frosting suits your mood, or just eat it plain. Whatever you do, just make sure you enjoy it!

4 comments:

  1. Are you talking about the pre-made frosting like betty crocker?
    That cake looks delicious, minus the coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most Betty Crocker has less than 1% of milk, which is 1% too much...but Pillsbury is pretty good! I've done a bit of research, too, and a lot of people have called the company just verifying this information.

    Are you not a coconut fan? That's so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this post? I'm immediately calling Blogger to complain. How dare they let me miss my best girl's latest post?!?! This even looks like a cake I could eat! And I hate cake. I do love coconut though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It very well might be a cake you can eat, Ms. Cake Hater. It's seriously not too sweet. The frosting is where it's at!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!