Thursday, June 18, 2009

Scrambled Eggz

Since I recently posted about all the glorious ways to omit eggs from your diet, I decided to make breakfast for lunch. Scrambled eggs have always been a favorite of mine. They're easy...you can add just about anything to them...you can wrap them in a burrito...you can mix them with potatoes...turn them into a sandwich...I guess they are 'incredible' & 'edible'.

I made the choice to no longer consume eggs, so eating them straight-up scrambled might prove to be difficult. I'm really excited to write this recipe down and see what the Meat Cleaver Corner has to say about it, but first, I'd like to share with you the nutritional value of REAL scrambled eggs:



This is the nutritional value using all the same ingredients that I'm going to use in MY scrambled eggz, only using 6 real eggs. It's also based on it serving 4. In reality, it might only serve 2, so double all the numbers...including the cholesterol!

(I'm able to get nutritional value from Calorie Count. I just plug in the ingredient, measurement, and serving size and it creates the nutritional value. Along with that nifty lil' feature, you can look up just about any food item, restaurant item, and activity. Seriously. Want to know how many calories you burn at church? It'll tell you!)

Now here's the nutritional value for scrambled eggz. I know this post is going a bit backwards, but I really wanted you to see the comparison!



The difference is quite clear, however, the taste is not! Here's the recipe:



Scrambled Eggz
Prep time: 15 minutes

1 package medium tofu, crumbled
2 tbsp soy butter (Try Earth Balance) or olive oil
1/2 cup nutritional yeast (optional, but adds a great cheezy flavor! Found in most whole food stores)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp turmeric (optional, it's mostly for color)
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp curry powder
2 tbsp soy sauce

Variations: Add any vegetable you want! Mushrooms, peppers, spinach...you name it! You could also sprinkle some vegan cheese on top. Maybe wrap it up? Put it on toast? Get creative!

1. In a large frying pan, heat the soy butter or olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute about 3 minutes. Add the crumbled tofu and continue to cook 3-5 minutes. Add all the other ingredients and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Season to taste; I added a little extra garlic salt because I loooove garlic.

I whipped up a batch of homefries, MorngingStar Farms Sausage Patties, and wheat toast with soy butter. Sooooo tasty!





Cody rates todays brunch...



TASTY!!!

Mmmm, any meal that I can put lots of Frank's on immediately is awesome is my book! That's why I like scrambled eggs and omelets so much. Hmm, chicken abortions or tofu...chicken abortions or tofu...what to choose? Survey says: They taste about the same! Much like regular eggs, the tofu takes on whatever flavors and spices it is cooked with. So basically you are left with the texture. I guess maybe it's in the way you cook it, but however she did it the texture is almost identical to regular eggs. Apparently there is way less cholesterol, which I don't really give a sh#t about right now. However, I'm guessing my heart (which is approximately as strong and healthy as a stage 3 wombat*) will thank her 40 years down the road. Also, the flavored "sausage" patties are good too. The one thing I like about the fake meat is that it doesn't leave my mouth feeling like I just fellated a "grease-monster + lard-prostitute" love child. You know what? I don't think I can top that last sentence, so I'm just gonna stop here... Well...SEE YA!

* For those of you who do not know what a Stage 3 wombat is...consider yourself lucky! No one has every experienced stage 3 and lived to tell the tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!