Monday, June 29, 2009

Balsamic Portabella Mushrooms

I couldn't really think of a name for this dish and I have to preface by saying it is way more than just Portabella mushrooms. This dish is a culmination of delicious, raw vegetables that each bring their own unique flavor to the table. However, since the mushroom is the "meat" in this dish, that's what I went with.

Last week my father-in-law (Monty) and his brother (Uncle Andy) drove down to visit. It was great to get to do all the touristy things Albuquerque has to offer, especially since there were a few we had never seen, either! One of my favorite trips was going to the top of Sandia Mountain via the Tram. We started off with a bite to eat (and a few drinks) at High Finance, the restaurant at the base of the tram. I got the most amazing dish! I swore I would try to recreate it, so this is my take on dinner that night.



Balsamic Portabella Mushrooms
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes


2 Portabella mushrooms, stems removed, cut in half (like 2 pieces of bread!)
1 zucchini, cut lengthwise, then sliced
1 summer squash, cut lengthwise, then sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 cup string beans, cut in half
4 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup vegetable broth
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper
1 14-oz can black beans
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
Dash of liquid smoke

1. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add the zucchini, squash, red pepper, and string beans. Sauté the vegetables for just a few minutes, then add the vegetable broth, salt & pepper to taste, cover, and simmer.

2. While the vegetables are braising, put the entire can of black beans in a food processor. Add the chili, cumin, and liquid smoke. Once combined, put in a microwave safe bowl.

3. In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add the garlic, let it cook for a minute or two, then add the mushroom caps. Flip once, and cook until moderately soft. 3-5 minutes.

4. When you flip your mushroom caps over, put the bean purée in the microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. When the mushrooms are done, place them on a clean plate and pour the balsamic vinegar on them and let them sit. While the mushrooms are marinading, drain your vegetables.

5. On a clean plate, place about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of bean purée. Place the bottom half of the mushroom cap, followed by as many vegetables as you'd like, and repeat with another layer of purée, the top of the cap, and a few more vegetables. I added a sprinkle of Veggie Cheese on there and topped it off with some green chile sauce....obviously. :)



This dinner was one of my favorites so far. If you get your vegetables at a farmer's market or they're in season at your regular grocery store, it's pretty inexpensive, too. Plus, it only took 15 minutes to make. It's bright and colorful, as is the taste. Cody liked it so much, he ate what little I couldn't! I said while we were eating that if Deidra tried it, she'd like it (she is the hater of all things mushroom, so that's saying something!). However, Cody quickly corrected me since mushrooms do have a distinct texture and she'd know I was trying to trick her. Oh, Deidra. One day, I promise. It'll happen.

So anyway, I highly recommend this tasty treat. Don't be discouraged by the blackish goo that's underneath it all; it's like refried beans but better. Cook it up "mom style"...a little bit of this & a little bit of that. You can add or subtract vegetables...maybe use 1/2 black bean, 1/2 garbanzo bean...whatever your taste buds desire!





This meal made me feel like I was eating at a fancy restaurant. For a brief minute or two I was able to escape from our "some-assembly-required-but-the-top-is-probably-broken-anyway" Wal-Mart table and travel to a far off distant land (hopefully not India*); where and the words healthy and delicious can make sweet love and have babies without fear of persecution and bigotry. Ah yes, if only such a place existed... I believe the president of that beautiful nation would be Frank's Red Hot. Only there he would be known only by his divine moniker: Frank. Just Frank. Oh President Frank, what an amazing commonwealth you have molded to fit your beliefs. You have even made it legal for healthy and delicious to get married and therefore receive yearly tax breaks! Praise thee! Who would have known that a Red spicy president could do so much?

...Oh...well that was quite a dream. Now I am back staring at my Wal-Mart table, BUT enjoying this awesome meal! BEWARE: MUSHROOM HATERS WILL NOT LIKE THIS!! I tried to see if I could make the mushroom taste like anything else in my head, but it has that texture that mushroom cynics despise. If you don't like mushroom texture, there is a 93.6% chance that you will puke into your shirt pocket. Make sure you save that for later, especially if you have a dog or something that likes that sort of thing. But, if you are a fan of the ol' fungi like me, this meal will kick you in the balls (in a good way) and then hand you $10 (see, I told you it was the good way).

*Note: We just watched Slumdog Millionaire the other night. Good movie. Also, 120 minutes of reason to never visit India.

1 comment:

  1. Deinitely trying this one! I usually make stuff portabellas, but this sounds delish. Elizabeth you are going to become my personal meal planner! Although I will usually add your favorite mouth bombs of death/ booger seeds and some non-vegan cheese. Anyway all that to say thanks for the awesome recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!