Monday, June 15, 2009

In Homage to My Mother

Growing up, my family always had a home-cooked meal on the table. Even when things were tight, even when my mom was really tired, she made sure we always ate something delicious and healthy. One of my all-time favorite dinners was probably one of the cheapest to make: Hamburger Gravy. Served over mashed potatoes sided with a vegetable, I always had seconds. I remember in bootcamp writing to my mother, telling her that the very first meal I wanted when I got out was her Hamburger Gravy.

It's not the fanciest, and it certainly isn't the hardest to make, but for my first blogged Vegan recipe, I thought this would be a great way to let my mom know how much I love her. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't love cooking as much as I do....or be half as good at it!



Mashed Potatoes
(For these, you just make regular ol' mashed potatoes, only use plain soy milk and soy butter)
4 potatoes
1/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup soy butter (I really like Earth Balance)
Salt & Pepper
Garlic Powder

1. Peel and cut the potatoes. Place in a pot filled with water. Add a dash of salt and boil until easily pierced with a fork (about 10-12 minutes).

2. Drain the potatoes. In a bowl, add the soy milk, soy butter, and spices (to taste). Mash with a masher or beaters and voila!

Hamburger Gravy

Olive Oil
1/2 Yellow onion, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Basil
Salt & Pepper
Dash of red pepper flakes
2 dashes of soy sauce
1 package of meatless burger crumbles (I LOVE Boca. MorningStar is really good, too.)
2 cups vegetable broth (I use the bouillon cubes)
1/4 cup Corn Starch

1. In a medium pan, put just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the onion and garlic; cook until tender. Add the oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.

2. Add the meatless burger crumbles and cook until no longer frozen. Add your vegetable broth (or water and bouillon) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat.

3. Add the soy sauce. In a small bowl, put the corn starch and just enough water to make it dissolve (this is an amazing thickener called "slurry"). Slowly add the slurry to the pan, a little bit at a time, making sure to stir constantly. You'll notice as the gravy simmers, it will get thicker, so just add as much to get the consistency you want.

4. Pour the gravy over the mashed potatoes and enjoy!

I steamed up some fresh asparagus (which Cody loves because it tastes good and has the added bonus of making his "pee smell funny") and some garlic bread...mine made with soy butter and Cody's with the last of our 'real' butter.

Again, thanks mom. And thanks to all of you for checking out my first post!








Hi, my name is Cody. Since this is the first food post you may not know me, or understand why I get my own snippet in this blog, so let me explain. I am not a hippy. I love eating animals because they are delicious. I am a fan of eating all things lower than me on the food chain. (Except tomatoes. Gross.) I am the first one to argue any sort of animal cruelty (not in favor of the hippies) and try to keep Elizabeth from taking the wrong path...the hippy path...through this mysterious Vegan forest. So the reason I'm here is to answer the question on everyones mind: Does this weird s*#t really taste good?!. If you are normal and not biased on little animals' feelings, then you should skip to my part. Here are some questions you should ask yourself before reading my section: "Do I refer to my pet as a 'fur baby'? Would I rather refer to a sea-faring animal as a 'sea kitten' so that, should I be tempted to feast on its flesh, I will feel really bad? Do I listen to Green Day? Have I ever used the words 'PETA' and 'awesome' in the same sentence?" If you answered yes to any of those questions then you should probably skip my section. You are officially too concerned with saving the rainforest and do not care about the taste of what you are shoveling into your unbrushed sewer. In fact, you would probably eat some poo if I could convince you that it didn't come from an animal and was full of protein (it is, you should try it). My opinions are based solely on taste, as is my trademark "Cody's Seal of Approval" picture. So without further ado:

...and Cody says...


I rate this dish TASTY! As you can see in my picture, I happily finished this one. Although when I found out that the Worcestershire sauce got dropped because it has anchovies I was a bit displeased. The sauce was definitely missing that delicious, fishy, unpronounceable taste that I know and love. I also enjoy food that I can completely mix together, which takes the guessing game out of proper mouth portions. This dish is definitely in that category. The asparagus was awesome and so was the bread. And now that I come to think of it, the bread had BUTTER on it. That's right, my piece had real butter. Take that one COWS! You lose because I just ate a product based on something that you naturally produce! Well.....SEE YA!

10 comments:

  1. sounds yummy too! I bet my hubster would like it. Can you add prep time and cooking time to your recipes? I know, more work. Just asking.
    Love the first post though and how befitting to honor your mother like that, so sweet!! I wish I grew up knowing how to cook. Good job someone gave me a book once called "I don't know how to cook book"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm sounds good to me! I'll definitely give it a try! Cody I love your commentary - I'm with you, I love eating meat, but as long as it tastes good I'm down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait a minute... I call my pets fur babies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ninnie, I will absolutely add prep time to the recipes. This one takes about 30 minutes, probably a little less. Who on earth got you that cook book? :)

    Leslie, I'm really hoping Cody makes his commentary a constant thing. That would thrill me.

    Deidra, your pets ARE fur babies. But you also get burgers wherever you go. This might put a thorn in Cody's theory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not ususally one for vegan food. When I consider it I usually compare it to a bucket of poo. The only difference between the two is the bucket. However, since I love Elizabeth and Cody, I will give it a shot. You guys are the best and we miss you! Cody, I know you've heard it a 100 times - there is something wrong with you... :) MKJULY

    ReplyDelete
  6. The July Family! Woo hoo!!!!!
    As far as the bucket of poo goes, you're absolutely right, which is kind of why I'm writing this blog. I have my husband, the carnivore, to let fellow carnivores that not all Vegan food tastes like poo! In fact, he's been living on it! :)

    We miss you guys so much!
    And yes, there is something wrong with Cody. He's crazy and I love it.
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On Wednesday wine night we are having Black Bean Burgers and Sweet Potato French Fries! I'll let you know how it goes! xoxoxo Miss and love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make sure to take pictures! You can be a guest cook on the blog! :)
    And as for the sweet potato fries...there's this place up in Portsmouth called The Friendly Toast that makes the BEST sweet potato fries. They put hot sauce, brown sugar and sour cream on them. It sounds crazy, but you should try it!

    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My balck bean burgers came out delish! I added half the bread crumbs and added parm cheese instead. I know thats not vagan, but it was awesome! Ranch dressing on it also added a good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Luckily for us crazy folk, there's vegan parmesan cheese AND fabulous ways to make vegan ranch! :) I'm going to have to try that! You didn't happen to take a picture, did you???

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!