Friday, June 19, 2009

Lemon Gem Cupcakes

Source: Vegan With A Vengeance!

First off, I just want to let everyone know that I had THE tastiest lunch ever. I heated up a small amount of the leftover Scrambled Eggz, the hashbrowns that went with them, some red beans & rice from last nights killer dinner, added a little green, and wrapped it up in a tortilla. Too bad Cody is at orientation. This had Frank's allllll over it.

Second, I think everyone in the world needs to try this amazing cupcake recipe that I found in Vegan With A Vengeance. I forgot how much I loved lemon-flavored things. They. Are. Amazing. The cupcakes are perfectly sweet with enough lemon to make you salivate. The frosting is more like a glaze that seeps down into the center of the cupcake, creating a perfect gooey-ness that is TO DIE for. In the words of D.E.I., "Go*damn, these are good."



Lemon Gem Cupcakes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Makes a dozen
1 1/3 cups unbleached flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
1 cup rice milk (I used plain soy)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a twelve-muffin tin with paper liners.

2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the oil, sugar, milk, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until smooth.

3. Fill each muffin cup about two-thirds full; bake for 17-20 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from muffin tin and place on a cooling rack. Frost when cooled fully.

Lemon Frosting
1/4 cup soy butter, softened
1/4 cup soy milk
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted (I used almost 3 cups)

1. Whisk the butter with a fork until fluffy. Stir in the woy milk and lemon juice; add the confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth (use a hand mixer!)

2. Refrigerate until ready to use.



They might be my new favorite dessert.

2 comments:

Leave some love!