Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Buff Chik Salad

I already went on & on about my love for Sunflower Market. While I was shopping yesterday, I picked up (for just a few $, I might add) all the accoutrements for a tasty salad. Cody & I should look into buying stock in Boca products because we have 3 boxes of their Meatless Chik'n Patties alone. So I decided for dinner I was going to make Buff Chik Salad. Some of you may know this as Buffalo Chicken, but Cody has shortened it to Buff Chik.

I put the chik'n in the oven to bake and realized I didn't really have any dressing that would go with my salad. We have regular Ranch in the fridge, but no Vegan Ranch. Sure, I love Italian dressing, but you really need the creamy to go with the heat. I decided to whip up some of my own.

Vegan Ranch Dressing
Prep time: 5 minutes

2 tbsp Vegan mayonnaise (I use Vegannaise)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dill
Black pepper
1 tsp plain soy milk

1. I just kind of put all the ingredients together, adding just enough soy milk to get the right thickness. It came out really good.



Buff Chik Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
1/2 head of lettuce
1/2 cucumber
1/2 cup of shredded carrots
1/2 red onion
2 Boca Spicy Chik'n Patties
A few dashes of Frank's Red Hot

1. Cook chik'n patties in the oven according to package. Meanwhile, cut lettuce, cucumber, carrots and red onion. Combine to create your salad base.

2. When the chik'n patties are done, coat in as much Frank's as you can handle. Cut into strips and place over salad. Add your dressing of choice and voilĂ !

I made the mistake of putting the Frank's on before I cooked the patties, thinking it would just seep into the crust. Instead, they were kind of mushy. Next time I'll cook the patties first. The salad was still tasty and I'm really pleased with the dressing. Cody used the Ranch we had in the fridge. I put some Feta cheese on there for him, too, along with some croutons. Croutons contain whey, which I can't eat. :/ Oh well! Luckily I'm finding loads of ways to get around it! :)





Cody rated tonights dinner...



GOOD.

Let me start off by saying a few words about my favorite topping: Frank's Red Hot. Oh, Frank's, how you make my mouth water in anticipation. So salty and hot and delicious. (This is starting to sound gay, huh? Let me try and turn it in a different direction.) You turn any food into a wonderland of flavor. Even 3 week old leftovers. Which, yes, I will eat as long as they don't smell funny. ...well...I'll at least try a bite...but if it tastes bad, no way! ANYWAYS, this dinner was pretty awesome, but got demoted to just "good" because of the faux-chicken. Normally I really like it because it's crispy and really soaks up the suculent, heartwarming Frank's Red Hot, but tonight it got really soggy. It still tasted good, but the texture was a bit off. Also, I didn't get the full-on experience like Elizabeth did, as I was forced to eat regular, cow blood-laden ranch, and whey-filled croutons. Which were awesome, by the way. But I did taste the ranch she made, and it was quite tasty. Also, before I depart I must say that buffalo sauce is my favorite sauce of all time. If there was ever a way to improve Frank's it's to mix it with ranch and thus creating the buffaloinest (I just made that up, you can use it...you're welcome) awesome sauce of all time. What does it have to do with a buffalo? I don't know, and I don't care! It makes me feel good to put BUFFALO sauce on vegan stuff. I'm like: Take that hippies! HAHA, yeah!! ...well....SEE YA!!





Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 282 g

Calories 205
Calories from Fat 57
Total Fat 6.3g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 590mg
Total Carbohydrates 25.3g
Dietary Fiber 4.6g
Sugars 6.3g
Protein 12.8g
Vitamin A 10% • Vitamin C 13%
Calcium 8% • Iron 14%

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!