Tuesday, November 24, 2009

AB-No-C Sandwich

One of my all-time favorite restaurants here in Albuquerque is Annapurnas World Vegetarian Cafe. Almost everything on the menu is vegan, and if it isn't, they can make it work for you! Such is the deliciousness that is the ABC Sandwich. Avocado, Tempeh Bacon, and Cheddar Cheese. When I ordered mine for the first time, I ordered no cheese, no tomato (because tomato is my enemy), and instead of the chipotle dressing, I got garlic Vegannaise. There are three different choices for bread. Yeah, three. I got mine on fococcia. Yum! It was so darn good. The bacon was crispy and delicious, the avocado was ripe, and it comes with spinach in it as well, which adds a nice, healthy punch.

I just had to make this myself.

I went out in search of my own AB-No-C Sandwich ingredients. I bought the spinach. I bought Tempeh Bacon. I bought some rustic bread to use. Then I decided that this needs to go in the panini press. AND I need to use Vegannaise Aoli instead of the garlic Vegannaise. Oh boy, it was tasty. My mouth is watering right now. Seriously.



AB-No-C Sandwich
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes


4 servings

8 slices bread of your choice, something good & hearty
2 tbsp soy butter (I use Earth Balance)
1/4 cup Vegannaise
2 tbsp Vegan Pesto
2 cups baby spinach
2 ripe avocado
2 tbsp olive oil
1 package Tempeh Bacon

1. In a steamer, steam the baby spinach until just tender. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the Vegannaise and pesto until smooth. This makes your aoli. Yes, you will fall in love with it and want to put it on everything. It's ok.

2. In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the Tempeh Bacon slices until they shrink up a bit and are crispy. Yum, crispy Tempeh Bacon!

3. Slice up your avocado! Make sure it's nice and thin so it doesn't bulk up the sandwich unevenly. Now assemble your sandwich! If you're using a panini press, make sure it's heated to medium-high heat. Lightly butter your bread, place it on the panini, then layer your aoli, bacon, spinach, and avocado. If you're not using a panini, don't butter, just layer and enjoy!!!



This sandwich is amazing, especially served with a cup of soup. It's perfect for summer. It's perfect for winter. I'm going to make it over and over and over again! Stay tuned for the amazing cupcakes I served for dessert with this sandwich...

6 comments:

  1. Oh no! Tomato and I are friends! How come you're enemies?
    I'll miss you over Thanksgiving! I'm going to try and blog from home, so stop by and say hello! We need to catch up!!!
    XOXO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot even handle tomatoes. Tomato flavored things, salsa, pasta sauce...these are fine. But yucky, bitter tomatoes with their mucas seeds of death....ugh. I've always hated them. Cody does, too. Thank goodness! I wouldn't have married him if he liked them! :)

    I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, love! I have a 5-day weekend, so I will be blogging lots and probably bothering you because you're my favorite.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I believe you that this sandwich is awesome, it looks perfect and it has got everything I love: avocados, spinach, pesto and vegan mayo. I WILL be making this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, these are my fav kind of sandwiches! But you know I'll be adding the tomato in :) So, we don't like mayo. This stems from working in a restaurant and seeing mayo in the huge vat and it made me want to puke. But I'm thinking the vegan kind will be better since it probably doesn't have 8 million grams of fat?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Les, you might like the Vegannaise! Give it a try! I totally understand about the vats of mayo. I feel that way about most salad dressings, too. But since I know Veganniase isn't raw egg and horrid for me, it helps. Go ahead and enjoy those tomatoes. Ick.

    Miss Vegan, I think next time I make these sandwiches I will pair them with a delicious cup of soup from your page! Sounds heart-warming to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, we just ate at Annapurna today (our favorite restaurant too)!

    Need to try your ABC sandwich...I'd probably ruin it so maybe my wife can do it right...

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!