Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tiramisu Cupcakes

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I know I did...I thoroughly enjoyed my first Tofurky Roast...and I'm still enjoying its leftovers. We had quite the feast at the sister & brother's house.

Ok. So now onto this post. I went a little cook book crazy and ordered a whole bunch off Amazon. I've been checking a constant three out of the library, but I decided it's just time to own them. The first one I ordered was Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (and yes, they are...), then I added How It All Vegan! and Vegan With a Vengeance (which was a gift from a friend. Yeah, I have some of the greatest friends.).

I am so absolutely obsessed with the cupcakes from VCTOW. Seriously, they all look sooooo amazing I want to do nothing but bake. Since I work with some of the greatest people alive, I like to spoil them and bring in baked goods. However, these cupcakes might not leave my house.

The first cupcakes I made were Tiramisu Cupcakes. A few weeks ago when my sister/best friend was visiting, I decided to make tiramisu. It was awful. And I don't bake anything awful. Thankfully, these cupcakes made me forget all about my baking disaster! They were absolute heaven. Double thanks to the husband for hating all things coffee: MORE CUPCAKES FOR ME!!!



Tiramisu Cupcakes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-22 minutes


Golden Vanilla Cupcakes
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (increase salt to 1/2 tsp if you're using oil instead of margarine)
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened, or 1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract, caramel extract, or more vanilla extract

Tiramisu Shtuff

1/3 cup espresso or strong coffee
1/3 cup Kahlua or other coffee-flavored liqueur
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
12 chocolate-covered coffee beans, or 12 chocolate chips, or 12 coffee beans.

Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting

1/4 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350° F and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

2. Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled (yum!).

3. If using margarine: Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.

4. In a separate large bowl, use a handheld mixer at medium speed to cream the margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy, but don't beat past two minutes. Beat in the vanilla and other extract, if using, then alternate beating the soy milk mixture and dry ingredients, stopping to scrap the sides of the bowl a few times.

5. If using oil: Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and other extracts, if using, in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix until no large lumps remain.

6. Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes till done. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.

Frosting

7. While the cupcakes are cooling: Cream together margarine and cream cheese until just combined. Use a handheld mixer to whip while adding the confectioners' sugar in 1/2 cup batches. Mix until smooth and creamy, then mix in the vanilla.

Filling

8. Mix together the espresso and the Kahlua.

9. Use a measuring spoon, a regular teaspoon, or a paring knife to carve out a small cone in the center of the cupcake. Place spoon about 1 inch from the center of the cupcake, then dig the spoon in about 1 inch deep and cut a circle around the center. Carefully scoop out a cone, trying your best to keep the chunk as intact as possible.

10. Use a spoon to pour the Kahlua mixture in the cavity of the cut cupcake, making sure that all sides of the cavity are drenched, using up to 2 tablespoons of liquid per cupcake. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting into the cavity and smooth over with the back of the spoon. (Make sure to reserve a few tablespoons of frosting to dollop on top of the cupcake.). Dip the bottom of the cut-out chunk into the Kahlua mixture, but keep the top part dry. Place the cut-out chunk on top of the frosting and gently pat it into place. Continue the process with the remaining cupcakes.

11. Place the chocolate and cinnamon in a small strainer and dust all of the cupcakes. Dollop a small amount of the frosting on top and place a chocolate chip or espresso bean on the dollop. Let sit for about 10 minutes and serve.

Seriously, folks...these cupcakes are perfection. I would vote for these cupcakes and let them rule in a world of caffeine and fluffy cupcake parliament. Watch out, Palin.

2 comments:

  1. Those look awesome! I made those a while ago for a family Christmas party and they were a big hit! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it possible that I missed not only this post but also the cute new blog template? I'm so mad right now!!!
    I've been missing you too!!!
    How are you? We seriously need to catch up.
    XOXOXO!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!