Friday, November 6, 2009

Black Bean & Corn Quesadillas

I love quesadillas. They're so versatile. You can put just about anything in them, and chances are, you can make them without having to go to the store for any ingredients. This was the case last night.

I'm battling a cold, desperately trying to fight it off fast before my sister & her daughters fly out here next week. One thing that seems to help is spicy food...viva New Mexico! I work at the most amazing New Mexican restaurant, plus I love to cook New Mexican food, so my cold has been doused with firey salsa and chile sauce.

One of the first vegetarian dishes I ever made were these quesadillas. They're sweet, spicy, and easy to boot.



Black Bean & Corn Quesadillas
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes


2 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 (15.5-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (10-oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup salsa (go hot or go home!)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp soy butter, divided
8 (8 inch) flour tortillas

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in beans and corn, then add sugar, salsa, and pepper flakes; mix well. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.

2. Melt 2 teaspoons of the soy butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the skillet, top with some of the bean mixture. Place another tortilla on top, cook until golden, then flip and cook on the other side. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.



You can easily throw in some soy cheese, if you'd like. Cody put some chopped green chile (surprise, surprise) in his, along with some habanero powder he made. He also asked if we had any sour cream...then proceeded to tell me I should have put some on mine because it's the 'effin' balls'. Yes, it was Tofutti sour cream. It was not real. And he ate it. And loved it. Mwahahahahaha!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I love tricking Marc. I ALMOST got him to think the fake feta was real feta but then he caught on.
    Happy Friday love!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!