Monday, January 25, 2010

Black Bean Burgers

I have some of the greatest friends in the world. Seriously. And they're spread out around the world. America, Canada, Japan, Puerto Rico...this blog is for my beautiful Tina in Puerto Rico.

I met Tina in Japan. We worked together and instantly became likethis. One of the things I loved about her was that she knew all these crazy places to go off base. She had the best little shopping spots and knew all the best eats! One of my favorites that she brought me to was Seaside Jet City Burgers. It was literally on the beach, in a hut, playing nothing but Jack Johnson. :) Yeah, I know. Perfect.

Anyway, my favorite burger (yes, hamburger) was one covered in grilled pineapple and avocado. I couldn't get anything else when we went because this combination was just amazing. Here are a few pictures of my adventures with Tina:


Eating tantan noodles....our favorite!

At the seawall after an amazing day of laying in the sun!


Chula-U...a pool spa she introduced me to. I don't know if we went enough!!!

After a night of Y50 beer. Boy...vegan did my body good!

We have been through so much together, Tina & I, and I love her more than she could ever know. It's been almost a year since we spent time together in Florida and I really hope I get to see her face soon.

On to the food!

I mentioned my favorite SSJCB burger and I decided to recreate it. Duh. That's what I do. :) Here is my black bean burger, which I topped with grilled pineapple and avocado.


Yes, those are kale chips. I was skeptical at first, but kale was on sale at Whole Foods and I made them. Holy crap, so good. Even Cody loved them!

Black Bean Burgers
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes


1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup black beans, drained & rinsed
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 400° F degrees.

2. Pulse all the oats in food processor until coarsely chopped. Place in mixing bowl.

3. Place medium chopped onion, 1/4 cup of the black beans and 1/4 cup of the corn and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add to the oats.

4. Add remaining black beans, corn and remaining ingredients to the oats and mixed beans. Mix together well.

5. Form into 4 patties. Place on oiled cookie sheet and cover with foil. Place in oven for 5 minutes, flip and cook 5 more minutes.



So easy, so delicious, so good for you! I toasted some buns, put a little veganiase on the bottom, iceburg lettuce, avocado slices, then I grilled up some pineapple that I put on top. Honestly, the spice of the black bean burger is cooled by the avocado then sweetened by the pineapple. It might just be this summer's perfect dish. And the kale chips....stay tuned for the kale chips!!!

Tina, if you read this, I hope you know how much I love you & miss you & how grateful I am to have such a wonderful woman in my life to call my friend! I LOVE YOU!!!

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore you and am so lucky that you came in my life. I couldnt imagine my life without you in it. You have become a sister to me! I look forward to the many more adventures that life has in store for us! xoxotiNaxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could I trouble you to post your recipe for your Kale chips? My mom/aunt (Cyndi) told me about how good they are, and I've looked through your blog but didn't see the preparation. I would be so thrilled! Thank you so much and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the link for the Kale Chips!
    They really are so so so so goood
    http://icantbelieveitsnotdead.blogspot.com/2010/02/kale-chips.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!