Friday, January 15, 2010

BBQ Chicken Pizza!

Ever since my beautiful friend, Living and Loving In L.A., posted a recipe for BBQ Chicken Pizza, I've had a craving for it. I would shamelessly plug her recipe here like I'm known to do, but this is more or less a recipe for the BBQ Sauce itself. :)

To start this pizza off right, I highly recommend THIS pizza dough recipe. It works even better in my new KitchenAid mixer. Woo hoo! For the chicken patties, I highly recommend Cluckphrey Chick-A-Roos. Cluckphrey is a great vegan chicken product. If you haven't tried it yet, what are you waiting for?

Anyway, the key part of any BBQ Chicken Pizza is the BBQ Sauce! I always have SOME kind of BBQ sauce lying around in my fridge, so I decided to jazz it up and make it my own.



Honey Habanero BBQ Sauce
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes


6 Habanero Peppers
5 garlic cloves
6-7 scallions
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup honey
1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp liquid smoke
1-2 tbsp yellow mustard
1 to 2 cups plain BBQ sauce
Any other spices you think might be tasty!

1. HEY! If you don't know this, make sure you read carefully. WEAR GLOVES WHEN CUTTING HABANERO PEPPERS!!! I'm not even kidding you. These suckers are HOT and will burn your life. But they're not so hot you won't be able to eat the sauce.

2. Trim the peppers of stem & seeds. Add the peppers, trimmed garlic, and scallions in a food processor and blend until finely, finely chopped. In a medium-sized saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and add the chopped vegetables. Cook until they start to brown.

3. Add the honey, sauces, mustard, liquid smoke, BBQ sauce, and whatever else your heart desires! Stir to incorporate. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens up.

That's it, folks! After making the tasty dough, I spread it out onto a pan, brushed the crust with some olive oil, ladled on some BBQ sauce, added the Chick-A-Roos (that I heated a minute or two in the microwave to dice up easy) and then topped it with some thinly sliced red onion. It cooked for about 15 minutes and was pure heaven. The spice of the habanero was followed by a deliciously sweet honey flavor. Yes, I eat honey. I'm deathly allergic to bees, so I've never really seen them as anything else but death machines & honey makers. I don't feel that makes me any less vegan.

This recipe makes quite a bit of sauce, so you will have leftovers. After snacking on the pizza for 2 days, I made some Southern Fried Tofu to dip. And we still have leftovers. Hooray!

5 comments:

  1. Um weird, but we had pizza last night and as I was eating it I thought that I needed to make BBQ pizza again! I will definitely be trying this sauce and maybe I can trick Mike into eating fake chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! You are amazing and beautiful! I saw on your facebook that something awful happened, not sure what, but I hope you're okay and I've been praying for you!
    Let me know if you need anything, I'm here for you love!
    XOXO,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Les, this chicken is seriously amazing. Cody asks for buff chick sandwiches all the time. Just don't tell him it's fake!

    Erin! I feel like I haven't talked to you in forever. Thanks for keeping us in your prayers. It's been a rough week, but it's good to know we have such awesome family & friends. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try your BBQ sauce, it looks delicious. I like to put chicken on pizza, too. I usually stir-fry the chicken with a Chinese been paste called "toubanjan." You can find that paste in Asian markets. Try it, I'm sure you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually HAVE some toubanjan...and it's the hot kind...so we love it! I use it to make our favorite Japanese noodles. Mmmm....so good.....

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!