Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Whoopie for Whoopie Pies!

Yes, I know I've already done a post about whoopie pies. It's just that I love them & they're easy & they always remind me of my awesome childhood! Since I had some leftover pumpkin, I decided to make my Gram's regular whoopie pies, but have the frosting be pumpkin-y. The fam & I were going to a party so I figured they'd be great. I love being right! They were a hit, and one of the partygoers asked me for the recipe, so I shamelessly plugged my blog. :)

Here is a great recipe for chocolate whoopie pies with pumpkin cream cheeze frosting. I hope you try this one, too!

Yes, this photo is taken on my phone, so it is not the best quality. I just had to get a picture before they were all gone! You can't tell here, but the pumpkin filling is a pale shade of orange with specks of cinnamon & nutmeg...so tasty!


Pumpkin Chocolate Whoopie Pies
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes


Pies
1 3/4 cups unbleached flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp soy butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 tbsp flaxseed + 3 tbsp water
1 cup soy milk (try not to use light!)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Whoopie!
4 ounces Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) soy butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup canned solid pack pumpkin
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg

Pies
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.

2. Place soy butter, shortening, and sugars into a bowl. Mix with a hand mixer on high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add flaxseed and water; mix until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes.

3. Mix in half the flour mixture, then the soy milk and vanilla. Mix in remaining flour mixture.

4. Drop about 2 teaspoons dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies spring back when lightly touched, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks and let cool 10 minutes. Remove cookies from baking sheets and transfer to wire racks using a spatula; let cool completely.

Whoopie!
1. In a medium bowl, whip together "cream cheese", soy butter and confectioners’ sugar on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg; whip until smooth, scraping down the bowl as necessary.

2. Pipe or spoon about 2 teaspoons filling on the flat sides of half the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies, keeping the flat sides down.

Brother-in-law Chuck & I both agree that these are better than the other whoopie pies. I like them because they're so much like my Gram's. Deidra likes the pure pumpkin pies better. So I guess you'll just have to make both and find people to taste them for you!

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! I want to try them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ADORE you. And your Whoopie Pies! You are the cutest thing ever and I'm so glad we're friends. I still can't get over your 4th place finish either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be too impressed with 4th, darling...I think there were 12 in my age group and I definitely ran it 8 minutes slower than I have in the past. I'm just happy I got 4th because of my knee injury! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!