Monday, October 19, 2009

Potato & Leek Soup

This post is being written for two reasons: 1. The recipe is from an amazing woman who I admire and respect so much...Living and Loving In LA!!! She just ran her first marathon yesterday and I'm just so impressed with her. She put this recipe up like, one week ago because she was sick with the flu. (Yes, she was sick with the flu and then ran 26.2 miles. I know. Be impressed.) 2. This is such a warm, thick, wintery meal I thought it would be perfect for all my friends and family in New Hampshire who are on their second snow fall of the season. In October. Boo!!!

The soup is really simple and doesn't require a lot of ingredients. I had to have brother-in-law-Chuck bring their food processor because ours is a mini processor; when the soup is done cooking, you blend it up to create a smooth, creamy dish. Deidra called it Mashed Potato Soup because it was very potato-y. Which is good. Cody said he felt like he was cheating potatoes, but he ate his entire bowl. :) I loveloveloved it. After we were done eating, my belly was really warm, so if winter nights are sneaking up on you too fast or you're feeling a little under the weather, I highly recommend this soup!



Potato & Leek Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30+ minutes


2 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 Leeks, white and light green parts only, washed, trimmed and sliced into coins
5 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
2 - 32 oz. containers vegetable broth (I use Better Than Bouillon!
Unsweetened soy, almond, or rice milk...whatever you have on hand
Chives, optional, for garnish
Soy Cheddar Cheese, optional, for garnish

1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Saute the leeks and garlic until soft but do NOT let them brown. Add potatoes and cover with the broth. Cook until potatoes are mushy, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning on the bottom of the pan.

2. Remove pot from heat, and slowly start transferring the soup to either a blender or food processor. Blend the soup with some milk until it's a smooth and creamy texture. Continue blending and mixing until all of the soup is smooth. Top with either chives, like I did, or soy cheddar cheese.



Make sure to check the consistency of the soup as you add the milk. It is a thick soup but can easily be thinned out by adding more milk. After each addition of soup was blended, I put it straight into a bowl and added chopped chives on top. We paired it with some Eggplant Panini, which made Cody quite happy. I'm psyched that there are massive amounts of leftovers!

1 comment:

  1. XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO. Couldn't live life or run marathons with out you, my love.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!