Friday, October 9, 2009

Mushroom Marsala

If you haven't figured out by my posts about my mom, she's a great cook. She can turn anything in the fridge into a delicious meal (except for American Chop Suey, which I will forever hate...). One of my favorite things growing up was Chicken Marsala. It was always over pasta, the chicken was never dry, and marsala wine has a very distinct, sweet taste that just worked.

I had some mushrooms in the fridge and some marsala wine in the pantry, so I decided to make Mushroom Marsala for dinner served over whole wheat rigatoni. I paired it with some fresh, homemade fococcia bread that was to die for...and that recipe will follow shortly!



Mushroom Marsala
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes


8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsbp soy butter
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2-1 cup marsala wine
1 cup vegetable stock
8 oz pasta

1. In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook till al dente.

2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute or so. Add the dry spices, then add the butter and melt.

3. When butter is melted, add the mushrooms and saute for 10 minutes, until nice and brown and the juices are released. Carefully add the marsala wine and cook until wine has reduced by half. Add the vegetable stock and cook until it slightly thickens. (Note: if the sauce is not thick enough for you, mix a little bit of cornstarch and water and add to it until you get the thickness you desire.)

4. Drain pasta, toss with the sauce, and try not to eat it ALL in one sitting! (Although, it's really not bad for you...)



It was a great meal and the bread was great to sop up the leftover sauce. Make sure to pick a pasta that will really allow the sauce to stick. Thanks, mom!

3 comments:

  1. You are so cute! I love this! How is your weekend going? I made Potato Leek soup last night for dinner. It was pretty good. I might have to make this pasta this week though, after all, I will be carbo-loading!!! Hope you have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, found this post through a google search for mushroom marsala. This sounds perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty tasty, I have to say! I give all the credit to my mother. She is the queen of all things marsala related. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!