Sunday, July 12, 2009

What do you eat...lettuce??

For the 4th of July, Cody, Deidra, Chuck & I went with our friend, Nolan, to Oklahoma. Nolan's family is from a very small town there...I'm talking no cell phone service anywhere...so we decided to join him & his family for some down time. We had such a blast! It was a little too hot for my taste, but everyone was so nice...the scenery was great...I got to meet a former Patriot...and we woke up to cinnamon rolls in the morning. One night we were talking about my crazy idea to go Vegan. Our plans were to go to breakfast in the morning, then Cody realized there might not be much for me to eat. Adam responded with, "Pancakes." I shook my head no: there are eggs in pancakes. He looked at me all crazy and asked, "What DO you eat?? I just couldn't be full on lettuce and nothing else."

In my kitchen, it's soooo easy to show people what I eat. I love cooking up delicious, hearty meals that even meatatarians devour. I always feel accomplished when I use ingredients people wouldn't dream of to replace ingredients that people didn't think they could live without. This is a prime example.

Cody is in an 80s metal band called Mister Scary. Once or twice a week, he heads out to go rehearse. I usually eat by myself, enjoying leftovers or something heated in the microwave. This past week, I had some leftover fried rice (so delish!) and a grilled cheese sandwich.

WAIT.
Did I just say grilled cheese sandwich???
Yes. That's right. I did.

Most bread is accidentally Vegan. I always check the ingredients because sometimes "whey" and "eggs" will be hiding on there. Most of the time, though, bread is on the ball. As I've mentioned a million times before, I love Earth Balance Natural Butter. It's got a nutty, buttery flavor that I would eat even if I wasn't Vegan. My sister, Miranda, found out she loved Earth Balance at my mom's house (Yes, my mom had Earth Balance and Boca Crumbles in her fridge! Woo hoo!). Plus, the Light Blue Bonnet says VEGAN on the back...and it's about $3 cheaper than Earth Balance. Then there's Veggie Cheese. I have to admit, it doesn't quite have the same flavor of real cheese. However, it's a great substitute. I was craving a grilled cheese sandwich, and that's exactly what I made myself.



I don't really feel the need to put cooking instructions up for a grilled cheese sandwich. Even my husband knows how to make them...which is really saying something. So there. Vegans eat grilled cheese sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!