Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

I would like to smooch the person who decided that peanut butter & chocolate, together, sounded like a good idea. I mean, seriously. There are few things in life that are more perfectly made for each other. From cakes to ice cream to cookies to candy bars...AMAZING. I wish everything in life was as tasty as this perfect pair.

I have made these cookies before, but this time they came out much better. Cody & I were watching Lost (thank you, Deidra) and in between episodes, he said, "I think you should make me cookies". So I did.



Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes


Chocolate dough:
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 tbsp soy milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/3 cup unsweetened dutch processed cocoa powder, plus 2 tbsp
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Filling:
3/4 cup natural salted peanut butter
2/3 cup confectioner's sugar
2-3 tbsp soy milk (start with 2!)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

1. In a large mixing bowl combine oil, sugar, maple syrup, soy milk and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix to form a moist dough.

2. In another mixing bowl beat together the peanut butter, confectioner's sugar, 2 tbsp of soy milk and vanilla extract to form a moist but firm dough (you're going to have to roll it into balls, so make sure it'll hold!). If peanut butter dough is too dry, stir in remaining tablespoon of soy milk. If dough is too wet, knead in a little extra confectioner's sugar.

3. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

4. Create the centers of the cookies by rolling the peanut butter dough into 24 balls. Scoop a generous tablespoon of chocolate dough, flatten into a disc and place a peanut butter ball in the center. Fold the sides of the chocolate dough up and around the peanut butter center and roll the chocolate ball into a smooth ball between your palms. Place on a sheet of waxed paper and repeat with remaining dough. You can flatten cookies a little, but I didn't & they came out perfect.

5. Place dough balls on lined baking sheets about 2" apart. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove sheets from oven and let cookies cool for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to complete cooling. These cookies are great warm, so you can microwave for 10 seconds before serving.

Just another way for me to get fat & happy again. These cookies are definitely not good for you, as most cookies are not. They're a great treat, though. Great for anyone! You don't have to say, "Oh, these are Vegan..." because no one will ever know.





Out of all the hippie cookies that she has made thus far, these are the best. Super chocolate-peanut-buttery and super sweet. I guess that is a Vegan's one weapon of mass destruction against tastelessness. "If I can't add a pound of delicious lard, I'll just load it up with sugar." Well, works for me, these things rock. I'm still living life by the philosophy that I've never met a cookie I didn't like, and these are definitely no exception!!

2 comments:

  1. Sound delish....and if CRB likes them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elizabeth - went searching your blog today for vegan cookies to send to my recently vegan Gramma. I was trying to find something that used mostly stuff that I keep on hand, and all I need to go buy for this is a little soy milk. I'll let you know if she loves them!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!