Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The BEST Chocolate Cake You'll Ever Eat!

I know this blog title is a little cocky, but I'll challenge you to a cake-off. This cake is super-chocolatey, not too sweet, MOIST, and fluffy. What more could you want??

My inspiration for this cake is a girl named Paige. I met Paige 5 years ago in Small Town, Oregon. I was on leave visiting my future husband. Cody & Paige have known each other for what I would assume is forever. She ended up marrying her long-time boyfriend and another small-town friend of his, who is now in the Navy. She randomly emailed Cody last week and let him know that she found my blog via VegWeb and that she, too, is vegan. Small world, even smaller internet! We've been kinda chatting back and forth and she asked about a cake recipe. You guys know me and my cupcakes. I gave her those links, but now it's time for an actual cake. Ask and ye shall receive!



Chocolate Cake
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes


*I know this cake calls for a lot of sugar. I don't want comments about how to make it healthier...it's dessert. Sometimes it's ok to go a little crazy. It's still vegan!

1 1/4 cup unbleached flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa (DARK cocoa if you have it!)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Mix well. Add the water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar; make sure to combine until it's no longer lumpy!

2. Lightly spray an 8x8 baking pan. Add your cake batter, put in the oven, and wait for your house to smell delicious. This will take 30 minutes. :) Cool for at least an hour before frosting.

Speaking of frosting....

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Prep time: 5 minutes

1/4 cup Earth Balance
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (again...dark if you have it!)
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp soy milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1. In a medium bowl, beat together the Earth Balance and shortening. Sift in the cocoa and powdered sugar; add the milk and vanilla and beat for 5 minutes, scraping down the sides as you go.

This is my favorite frosting. It tastes so much like Dunkin Donuts Chocolate Kreme Donut, it excites me.



This cake really doesn't take long at all, plus it's marvelous, so get your cake on! Go!

4 comments:

  1. I don't even LIKE cake and I want this. How are you so amazing? It's really not fair to the rest of us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES YES AND YES! I love chocolate and I really love chocolate cake. And I agree, it is dessert, indulge and live your life, who cares about some sugar?!?! I love your attitude and I really want some of that cake now. Thanks for the recipe, it looks super moist which is my favorite way for cake to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth!!! Thanks so much for the award, you are too sweet and loved all the facts about you that you shared!

    As for this cake...omg girl. You have outdone yourself! and of course, it's vegan...love it!!!!!

    Thanks for all your support on my blog and always your contest entries and for being so awesome, I notice them all, even if I can't always reciprocate, I want to thanks for supporting me and my bloggie...and the award :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was positively scrumptious! I didn't wait to put on the icing so the cake ABSORBED IT. But it made it all gooey and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!